Lake Vacaresti (Bucharest Delta)
Lake Vacaresti is a lake in the south of Bucharest, Sector 4. The lake has a surface of 189 ha, a length of 2.3 km, a width of 2 km meters and a depth of 1–2 meters. It is now part of the Natural Park Vacaresti, a protected zone of nature. Over 100 species of wild birds and animals live in this area. The area is nicknamed Bucharest Delta.
The Great Synagogue in Bucharest
The Great Synagogue in Bucharest, Romania was raised in 1846 by the Polish-Jewish community. It was repaired in 1865, redesigned in 1903 and 1909, repainted in Rococo style in 1936 by Ghershon Horowitz, then it was restored again in 1945, as it had been devastated by the extreme right Legionaries. It nowadays hosts an exhibition entitled The Memorial of Jewish Martyrs “Chief Rabbi Dr. Mozes Rosen”. During the late 1980s, just like many churches in the area, this synagogue was virtually surrounded by concrete buildings, so as to hide it from public sight.
Address: Vasile Adamache Street no. 11
Distance: 5.1 km, approx 9 min
The Choral Temple
The Choral Temple (Ro. Templul Coral) is a synagogue located in Bucharest, Romania. It is a copy of Vienna's Leopoldstadt-Tempelgasse Great Synagogue, which was raised in 1855-1858. It was designed by Enderle and Freiwald and built between 1864 - 1866. The synagogue was devastated by the extreme right Legionaries, but was then restored after World War II, in 1945. It still hosts religious services, being one of the still active synagogues in the city and in Romania.
Address: Sfanta Vineri Street no. 9, Bucharest
Distance: 5.3 km, approx 9 min
Curtea Veche (The Old Princely Court)
Curtea Veche (the Old Princely Court), built as a place or residence during the rule of Vlad III Dracula in the 15th century, now operates as a museum in the centre of Bucharest, Romania. The residence was moved under the rule of Radu cel Frumos, who moved the princely residence and the Wallachian capital to Bucharest. In the 16th century Mircea Ciobanul rebuilt it completely and afterward it became the nucleus of the Bucharest, surrounded by the houses of traders and craftsmen. Alexander Ypsilantis built a new princely court in 1775 at Dealul Spirii and the old one acquired its present name. In its current role as a museum, the palace and neighbourhood inspired Mateiu Caragiale to write his novel Craii de Curtea-Veche. It is also at the center of efforts to restore the historic center of Bucharest.
Address: French Street no. 21, Bucharest
Distance: 5.7 km, approx 9 min
Foisorul de Foc (The Fire Tower)
Foisorul de Foc (literally The Fire Tower) is a 42-metre high building in Bucharest, Romania, between Obor, Calea Moșilor and Nerva-Traian. It was used in the past as an observation tower by the firemen.
It was built in 1890, two years after the previous watchtower, Turnul Coltei, built in 1715, was demolished. The plans were made by George Mandrea, back then the chief-architect of Bucharest.
Address: Avenue Ferdinand no.33, Bucharest
Distance: 5.9 km, approx 9 min
Romanian Orthodox Patriarchal Cathedral
The Romanian Orthodox Patriarchal Cathedral is a functioning religious and civic landmark, on Dealul Mitropoliei, in Bucharest, Romania. It is located near the Palace of the Chamber of Deputies of the Patriarchate of the Romanian Orthodox Church.
The structure was begun in 1654 and completed in 1658. The facade is in the Brâncovenesc style.
Address: District 4, Bucharest
Distance: 6 km, approx 9 min
The Jewish Museum in Bucharest
The Jewish Museum in Bucharest, Romania is located in the former Templul Unirea Sfanta (United Holy Temple) synagogue, which survived both World War II and Nicolae Ceausescu unscathed.
The name has several variants, including Museum of the History of the Romanian Jewish Community. In Romanian it is variously called Muzeul de Istorie al Comunitatilor Evreiesti din Romania, Muzeul de Istorie a Comunitatii Evreiesti Bucuresti, etc.
Address: Entry Mamulari no. 3, Bucharest
Distance: 6 km, approx 9 min
Pasajul Macca-Vilacrosse is a fork-shaped, yellow glass covered arcaded street in central Bucharest, Romania. Campineanu Inn (Romanian: Hanul Câmpineanu) once stood in the place nowadays occupied by the passage.
After the Chief Architect of Bucharest, Xavier Vilacrosse (a Catalan architect who had followed the French school), married the daughter of the inn owner (1843), the couple received the inn as a wedding present, renaming it with the architect's name. Toward the end of 19th century it was demolished, being replaced by a two-stories-high, ornate structure, in the style of Western passages.
Address: District 3, Bucharest
Distance: 6.2 km, approx 10 min
The CEC Palace (Palatul C.E.C.)
The CEC Palace (Romanian: Palatul C.E.C.) in Bucharest, Romania, built in 1900 and situated on Calea Victoriei opposite the National Museum of Romanian History, is the headquarters of the national savings bank C.E.C., nowadays called CEC Bank.
Before the construction of the palace, the location was occupied by the ruins of a monastery (Saint John the Great) and an adjoining inn. The 16th-century church was renovated by Constantin Brancoveanu during 1702 - 1703, but later deteriorated and was demolished in 1875.
Address: Calea Victoriei no. 13, District 1
Distance: 6.2 km, approx 10 min
The Grigore Antipa National Museum of Natural History
The Grigore Antipa National Museum of Natural History (Romanian: Muzeul National de Istorie Naturala "Grigore Antipa") is a Natural History museum located in Bucharest, Romania. It was originally established as the National Museum of Natural History on 3 November 1834. It was renamed in 1990 for Grigore Antipa, who administered the museum during 51 years.
Address: Road Pavel Kiselev Dimitrievici no. 1, Bucharest
Distance: 7.1 km, approx 11 min
The Palace of Parliament
The Palace of Parliament (Romanian: Palatul Parlamentului) in Bucharest, Romania is a multi-purpose building containing both chambers of the Romanian Parliament. According to the World Records Academy, the Palace is the world's largest civilian building with an administrative function, most expensive administrative building and heaviest building.
The Palace was designed by architect Anca Petrescu when she was only 28 years old and nearly completed by the Ceausescu regime as the seat of political and administrative power. Nicolae Ceausescu named it the People's House (Casa Poporului), also known in English as the People's Palace.
Address: Izvor Street no. 2-4, Bucharest
Distance: 7.4 km, aprox 11 min
Cotroceni Palace (Palatul Cotroceni)
Cotroceni Palace (Romanian: Palatul Cotroceni) is the headquarters and residence of the President of Romania. It is located at Bulevardul Geniului, nr. 1, in Bucharest, Romania. The palace also houses the National Cotroceni Museum.
Cotroceni Hill was also the place of residence of many of Romania's rulers for a time until 1883, when King Carol I of Romania received the residences and ordered them demolished with plans to build a much larger edifice in their stead which would serve to house the future heirs to his throne. Construction of this new royal palace was commissioned to begin in the year 1888, the project being placed under the direction of French architect Paul Gottereau.
Address: Avenue Geniului no. 1, Bucharest
Distance: 7.4 km, approx 11 min
The Romanian Athenaeum (Romanian: Ateneul Roman) is a concert hall in the center of Bucharest, Romania and a landmark of the Romanian capital city. Opened in 1888, the ornate, domed, circular building is the city's main concert hall and home of the "George Enescu" Philharmonic and of the George Enescu annual international music festival.
Address: Benjamin Franklin Street no. 1-3, Bucharest
Distance: 7.6 km, approx 12 min
National Museum of Art of Romania
The National Museum of Art of Romania (Romanian: Muzeul National de Arta al Romaniei) is located in the former royal palace in Revolution Square, central Bucharest, Romania, completed in 1837. It features notable collections of medieval and modern Romanian art, as well as the international collection assembled by the Romanian royal family.
Address: Calea Victoriei no. 49-53 , Bucharest
Distance: 7.7 km, approx 12 min
Victoria Palace (Palatul Victoria)
Victoria Palace (Romanian: Palatul Victoria) is a palace in Victory Square, Bucharest, built in 1937, which is the headquarters of the Prime Minister of Romania and his cabinet. The palace was built under the supervision of Duiliu Marcu (1885–1966), student of the Bucharest Superior School of Architecture (1906) and of Paris Ecole de Beaux – Arts (diplomat in 1912). The monolithic structure materializes an austere expression of the neoclassical style.
Address: Victoria Square no. 1, Bucharest
Distance: 8.6 km, approx 13 min
The National Military Museum (Muzeul Militar National)
The National Military Museum (Romanian: Muzeul Militar National), located at 125-127 Mircea Vulcanescu St., Bucharest, Romania, was established in 1923 by King Ferdinand. It has been at its present site since 1988, in a building finished in 1898.
Address: Street Mircea Vulcănescu no. 125-127, Bucharest
Distance: 9 km, approx 14 min
Museum of the Romanian Peasant
The Museum of the Romanian Peasant (Romanian: Muzeul Taranului Roman) is a museum in Bucharest, Romania, with a collection of textiles (especially costumes), icons, ceramics, and other artifacts of Romanian peasant life. One of Europe's leading museums of popular arts and traditions, it was designated "European Museum of the Year" for 1996.
Address: Street Kiseleff no. 3, Bucharest
Distance: 9 km, approx 14 min
The National Geology Museum
The National Geology Museum in located on Soseaua Kiseleff (street), in Bucharest, Romania. It is located near Victory Square and Kiseleff Park, in central Bucharest.
The museum hosts a collection of 80,000 samples of rocks, fossils, and minerals from Romania.
Address: Road Pavel Kiselev Dimitrievici no. 2, Bucharest
Distance: 9.3 km, approx 14 min
National Village Museum Bucharest
The Village Museum (Muzeul Satului in Romanian) is an open-air ethnographic museum located in the Herăstrău Park (Bucharest, Romania), showcasing traditional Romanian village life. The museum extends to over 100,000 sq/m, and contains 272 authentic peasant farms and houses from all over Romania.
It was created in 1936 by Dimitrie Gusti, Victor Ion Popa, and Henri H. Stahl.
There are other "village museums" throughout Romania, including ASTRA National Museum Complex in Sibiu, and those of Cluj-Napoca, Râmnicu-Vâlcea, Timișoara, a.s.o.
Address : Road Pavel Kiselev Dimitrievici no. 28-30, Bucharest
Distance : 11.4 km, approx 15 min
Herastrau Park (Romanian: Parcul Herastrau) is a large park on the northern side of Bucharest, Romania, around Lake Herastrau, one of the lakes formed by the Colentina River.
The park was initially intended to be called Parcul National, but it was renamed Parcul Carol II during the period of the Carol II of Romania's cult of personality. Following WWII, it was renamed Parcul I. V. Stalin, featuring a statue of Stalin at its entrance. The park was renamed and the statue was torn down in 1956 as part of the De-Stalinization in Romania.
Its current name, Herastrau, named after the Herastrau lake, has its origin in a dialectal version of the word ferastrau in standard Romanian, meaning saw or sawmill, referring to the water-powered sawmills that were once found the Colentina river which flowed through it.
Address: District 1, Bucharest
Distance: 12 km, approx 16 min
Arcul de Triumf
Arcul de Triumf is a triumphal arch located in the northern part of Bucharest, on the Kiseleff Road.
The first, wooden, triumphal arch was built hurriedly, after Romania gained its independence (1878), so that the victorious troops could march under it. Another temporary arch was built on the same site, in 1922, after World War I, which was demolished in 1935 to make way for the current triumphal arch, which was inaugurated in September 1936.
Address: Square Arch of Triumph, Bucharest
Distance: 11 km, approx 14 min